The Beauty of Retrospect: Cynthia King Week, Part Three

Cynthia King was in such great demand as a model, some advertisers couldn't get enough of her. Look at this photo from a cigarette ad s...

Sunday, June 2, 2019

An Annoucement

I'll get back to my current A-Z round of subjects, but right now, I'd like to make an announcement regarding this blog.

One of the articles of faith that has guided me since I began this blog in September 2006 is that a woman doesn't have to be an entertainer or a model to be beautiful, which is why I've featured women in broadcasting, sports, medicine . . . and politics.  But the political arena has become troublesome as far as this blog is concerned.  It's obvious that, whenever I have offered a post showing a female politician, it's almost always a Democrat.  The exceptions are foreign female politicians, as I am too nauseated by the Republicans to show any women from the GOP.  But with the country becoming more politically polarized, it is becoming obvious that my partisan bias here is showing.

In fact, many of the Democratic female politicians I have shown have ultimately disappointed me.  I found myself attracted to U.S. Representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY), but when she botched the roll-out of the pro-environmentalist Green New Deal program and turned what should have been a Democratic asset into a liability, I lost a lot of respect for her.  And I lost even more respect for an earlier honoree on this blog, U.S. Senator Kirsten Gillibrand (D-NY), when she orchestrated and forced the resignation of U.S. Senator Al Franken (D-MN) over minor sexual-harassment allegations before they could be reviewed by the Senate Ethics Committee.  However damning these allegations were, Franken should at least had his case heard out before considering resignation or accepting possible expulsion.  Plus, Senator Gillibrand takes money from unsavory corporate interests.  The simple truth is that female politicians can be just as ultimately disappointing as their male counterparts.

Then there's the Me Too movement. Although the Me Too movement is about fighting unwanted male sexual advances toward women, it's probably a given that female politicians who support this movement emphatically would prefer not to be celebrated at all, not even a little, for their looks.

Bearing all that in mind, I feel that I must have my blog acknowledge and be in tune with these realities.  Therefore . . . I will cease to include female politicians on this blog effective immediately.  However, female politicians I have featured already will remain on this blog.   Please note that the Criteria, Rules and Standards page is to be edited to reflect this. 

I know that some people will find this decision to be rash, but I think it's for the best.  I don't want this blog to be politically partisan, and I don't want to deal with politics on a blog meant to be devoted to something as far removed from politics as possible.  

Back tomorrow with a post paying tribute to an actress - not a politician.  

No comments:

Post a Comment